Skip navigation

Our History

Innovative by Tradition

2010 - today

Today

Eberspächer is driving forward the digitalization and networking of its products and corporate processes.

2021

Eberspächer’s Exhaust Technology Division will from now on operate as the “Purem by Eberspaecher” brand.

2020

is marked by the Corona pandemic. The company achieved revenue of 4.9 Mrd. Euros. 
Heinrich Baumann, Managing Partner of the Eberspaecher Group, died completely unexpectedly at the age of 54. A short time later, at the age of 87 Hans Eberspächer, former long-time Managing Partner, followed him.

2018

Eberspächer becomes a full-range supplier for thermal management and takes over the French company Kalori SAS.

2016

A production plant for exhaust aftertreatment systems is being built in Romania. A year later another one will follow in Portugal. With the Canadian company Vecture Eberspächer invests in technologies for battery management systems.

2010

The company enters the bus and coach air-conditioning market. The first high-voltage heaters for electric vehicles go into production.

2000 TO 2009

2009

The company turnover plummets 40 percent as a result of the global economic crisis. At the Geneva Motor Show, Eberspächer presents heaters for electric vehicles.

2008

Eberspächer offers development tools for electronic networking with automobile bus systems for the first time.

2005

At the IAA, Eberspächer presents a completely new type of technology for sound absorption and design, based on antisound principles.

2004

Heinrich Baumann, another member of the fifth generation, joins Eberspächer. The company positions itself as a 100 percent automotive parts supplier and initiates the separation of the glass construction business.

2002/03

The Research & Development Center in Detroit and the Eberspächer North America catalytic converter plant come on stream.

2001

In the 2000s The global presence is expanded consistently, including India, China, Russia, Korea and Japan.

2000

Martin Peters becomes the fifth generation to join the company. The company turnover climbs to DM 2.5 billion.

1980 TO 1999

1999

The electrical auxiliary heaters of the catem subsidiary go into series production. The company rises quickly to become the world market leader.

1990

The company celebrates its 125th anniversary. In the 90s Eberspächer establishes further subsidiaries in South Africa, the Czech Republic, the U.S., England, Brazil and Poland.

1988

Work starts on the construction of the new Research & Development Center in Esslingen.

1983

The Federal German government adopts exhaust emission standards, which necessitate the use of catalytic converters.

1980

In the 1980s Eberspächer invests intensively in internationalization: production facilities are established in Sweden, France and Switzerland.

1961 TO 1979

1978

Development of particulate filters for passenger cars begins.

1977

Eberspächer establishes a subsidiary in Great Britain.

1975

A technological breakthrough is made in the form of the legendary "B1L": It is the first vehicle heater which can be installed directly in the passenger compartment. At the same time, Eberspächer brings the first remote controls onto the market.

1974

Dr. Günter Baumann, another member of the fourth generation, joins the company. Series production of catalytic converters for passenger cars starts.

1973

Eberspächer establishes Espar Products in Canada as an independent sales company for heaters.

1965

The company celebrates its 100th birthday and sees a turnover of DM 100 million. Hans Eberspächer becomes the fourth generation of the family to join the company.

1930 TO 1960

1960

Eberspächer takes over the Neunkirchen metal works in the Saarland and sets up a muffler production facility there.

1954

The one millionth muffler comes off the manufacturing line in Esslingen.

1953

Pre-heaters go into mass production.

1950

Dr. Richard Eberspächer dies in an accident.

1947

Work begins in Esslingen on turbochargers.

1946

Eberspächer produces products such as prosthesis, metal cases and small cookers during the post-war emergency.

1945

After World War II, Helmut Eberspächer, a cousin of Richard and Walter, joins the company.

1939-1945

Eberspächer is integrated into the armaments industry by the Nazi regime and like many other companies is assigned forced laborers. During the war, aircraft engine parts are also manufactured here for the first time.

1938

Richard's brother Walter joins Eberspächer.

1935

Dr. Richard Eberspächer becomes the third generation to join the company.

1934

Work begins at the headquarters in Esslingen on the new construction of a second factory section; the workforce grows to 700 employees.

1933

The company starts developing vehicle heating systems.

1931

Production of mufflers for automobiles begins.

1865 TO 1929

1929

Eberspächer starts work on the glazing of the Milan railway station.

1928

Glass construction subsidiaries open in the Czech Republic, Poland and Italy.

1925

The number of employees grows to 350. The company produces glass roofs for factory halls, railway stations and airship hangars across Europe.

1914

The factory starts operating on the site of the present-day plant in Esslingen.

1913

The first international subsidiary is founded in Vienna.

1906

Dr. Paul Eberspächer, the founder's second son, joins the family business.

1900

The first electrically powered machines are used; the staff increases to 80 employees.

1899

The company's founder dies. His wife, Friederike takes over the reins.

1894

His son, Adolf Eberspächer becomes the second generation to join the family business.

1865

Master tinsmith Jakob Eberspächer founds a workshop in Esslingen am Neckar, which soon specializes in metal-framed roof glazing.